Chosen Reflections: Showing Up in Unexpected Places
Jesus Christ has a way of showing up in the most unexpected places.
In episode eight of The Chosen’s first season, Jesus arrives at the home of Simon (Peter). Simon’s wife, Eden, is a bit rattled by His presence. Her observation has echoed through the centuries:
Eden: “Jesus! I wasn’t expecting you here.
Jesus: “People usually aren’t.”
Jesus’s modus operandi then . . .
Showing up in unexpected places was Jesus’s modus operandi:
- His incarnation began in the womb of a teenage virgin (Luke 1:26-35).
- He was placed in a manger—an animal feeding trough—at His birth (Luke 2:12).
- At the age of thirteen, He shocked the religious scholars with understanding far beyond His earthly years (Luke 2:46-47).
- He lived and worked in Nazareth, a town with a poor reputation (John 1:46).
- He ate with blatant sinners (Mark 2:15).
- He conversed with a Samaritan woman (John 4:9).
- He showed up alive and outside the tomb when the women came to anoint His supposedly dead body on Sunday morning (John 20:11-15).
. . . And now
And He’s still showing up in unexpected places today. Only now, His physical presence occurs through the hands and feet of His followers. You and I are part of the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:27):
- When parents forgive the drunk driver who killed their son.
- When a father forgives his daughter’s murderer.
- When a nun shuns the privileged while living and serving among the poorest of the poor in the slums of India.
- When we extend grace and mercy to the undeserving, as God has done for us.
- When we defend the helpless who cannot defend themselves.
How is Jesus Christ showing up in unexpected places through you today?
(This is tenth in a series of blog posts inspired by The Chosen, a multi-season series about the life of Jesus and His followers. Each post highlights a quote sourced from Season 1. Previous posts include:
- Chosen Reflections: I Have Called You By Name
- Chosen Reflections: The Difference
- Chosen Reflections: Provision
- Chosen Reflections: Purpose
- Chosen Reflections: Fishers of Men
- Chosen Reflections: Do Whatever He Tells You
- Chosen Reflections: Follow the Leader
- Chosen Reflections: Are You a Student?
- Chosen Reflections: Get Used to Different