Chosen Reflections: Get Used to Different
Jesus Christ has a way of turning life upside down.
In episode seven of The Chosen’s first season, the character of Jesus calls a tax collector, Matthew, to follow as His disciple. Another of Jesus’s disciples, Simon, is aghast that Jesus would make such a choice. Their conversation is a showstopper.
Simon: “Whoa, what are you doing? Do you have any idea what this guy has done? Do you even know him?”
Simon: “I don’t get it.”
Jesus: “You didn’t get it when I chose you, either.”
Simon: “But this is different. I’m not a tax collector.”
Jesus: “Get used to different.”
Get used to different. What an accurate perspective on the Christian life. A life in which:
- We love our enemies (Mt. 5:44 ESV).
- We lose our life to find it (Mt. 10:39 ESV).
- The last will be first and the first last (Mt. 20:16 ESV).
- In dying, we bear much fruit (John 12:24 ESV).
- It’s more blessed to give than to receive (Acts 20:35 ESV).
- We’re free when we’re slaves to righteousness (Rom. 6:18 ESV).
- When we’re weak, then we’re strong (2 Cor. 12:10 ESV).
- We gain when we lose (Phil. 3:7-8 ESV).
- God exalts us when we humble ourselves (James 4:10 NASB).
Jesus isn’t someone we add to our life to make it better, like a cherry added to the top of an ice cream sundae. When Jesus comes into our life, the status quo leaves. He doesn’t make us better, He makes us brand new (2 Cor. 5:17). And this new life, by its very nature, will be different.
If you’re a follower of Jesus Christ, have you embraced different? If you have, what does this look like in your life?
If you haven’t embraced different, what’s stopping you?
(This is ninth in a series of blog posts inspired by The Chosen, a multi-season series about the life of Jesus and His followers. Each post will highlight a quote sourced from Season 1. Previous posts include:
- Chosen Reflections: I Have Called You By Name
- Chosen Reflections: The Difference
- Chosen Reflections: Provision
- Chosen Reflections: Purpose
- Chosen Reflections: Fishers of Men
- Chosen Reflections: Do Whatever He Tells You
- Chosen Reflections: Follow the Leader
- Chosen Reflections: Are You a Student?