Every Day is Special
Are you tired of all the clichés yet? New year. New start. Blank slate.
Except that it isn’t a blank slate anymore, is it? Your days have already begun to fill up, despite the pandemic that refuses to leave. The holidays are a given. New Year’s Day, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, all the way through next Christmas.
Of course, we know holidays are special. But these days, it seems like every day is special by virtue of holiday proclamations. For example, according to the National Day Calendar website, February 9 is National Toothache Day (not sure why anyone would want to celebrate that day!). March 10 is National Landline Telephone Day (do you still have one of those?). April 10 is National Hug Your Dog Day (I can get behind that one!). And National Clean Your Room Day is May 10 (moms everywhere will cheer for that one!).
Some of these “official” days are just plain silly. But it doesn’t end there. As you might expect, Hallmark is a big promoter of any day that provides an excuse to send a card, including National Friendship Day (August 1), or Boss’s Day (October 16).
Wisdom and time
I love ideas for making special occasions of the days that haven’t been officially dubbed “special.” But of course, you know I can’t leave this subject without quoting from another source. Here are some additional quotes to help us make every day special:
- “Today, if only you would hear his voice, ‘Do not harden your hearts…’” (Psalm 95:7-8).
- “So that your trust may be in the LORD, I teach you today, even you” (Proverbs 22:19).
- “The living, the living—they praise you, as I am doing today” (Isaiah 38:19).
- “If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?” (Matthew 6:30).
- “‘In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.’ I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:2).
- “But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness” (Hebrews 3:13).
- “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8).
Every day is special, not because the calendar says so, but because our awesome Creator made it so. He made us to enjoy the day, enjoy Him, and enjoy each other…and we do it through His Son, Jesus Christ.
How can you make each today of 2021 a special day for you?
Each day is special because God created each day and night. I love to open the front door first thing in the morning and say, “Thank You Lord for this glorious day.” Then, I go to the back door and do the same thing. 🙂 Beginning the day with thanking God always brings joy.
Yes! Thank God for every day and make every day count.
God gave me life today so that makes it a special day for me. I love you post as it reminds me to celebrate what God has given me each and every day. Thanks
Such truth! At the risk of sounding like a big ol’ curmudgeon, I’ve never been a big fan of “Valentine’s Day” because it feels like just a silly excuse to spend unnecessary money because “we’re supposed to.” EVERY day is a gift!
Time spent in God’s Word TODAY reading and studying and responding to the conviction of the Holy Spirit is a day well spent, each and every day. Then, applying what is learned each day and actually doing what the Word says makes it an even better spent day, since we become doers and not merely hearers. These are my daily goals. Study, Comprehend. Apply. Repeat. TODAY is the day, the only actionable day on our calendar. Great point, Ava!