The year 2020 started with such potential. New year. New possibilities. To say it has been a disappointment is an understatement!
Many of us are battered and bruised by canceled plans, health issues, financial pressures, isolation, and even lost loved ones. We’re weary. Actually, we’re beyond weary. We simply don’t have the mental, emotional, and spiritual fortitude to handle one more disappointment. And yet, we have to find a way to keep on keeping on.
For me, handling disappointment (and positive events, too!) begins with remembering who I belong to. My perspective changes radically when I filter everything that happens to me through the attributes of our great God. Consider these examples:
- Sovereign – God is both Sovereign over world events and the things that happen to me personally. Nothing touches me that hasn’t first been sifted through His fingers.
- Father – God’s tender care for His children means that even when He allows negative things to happen, they are for my eternal good.
- Omniscient – while events, from pandemics to murder hornets, may be a surprise to me, they are never a surprise to my heavenly Father.
- Provider – Because He knows my needs before I do, He will provide what I need at just the right time. Sometimes it will be resources, other times it will be strength, courage, or encouragement by others.
- Accessible – He is always with me and is only a prayer away.
- Gracious – He doesn’t give me what I deserve, but He does give me what I don’t deserve – so grateful for His mercy!
These are just a few of the characteristics of God that remind me I can trust Him despite what we’ve experienced this year and what we may yet experience. I hope you can say the same.
In the midst of a year that has been beyond disappointing, what attributes of God bring you comfort as you face the unknown?